It’s Christmas time. And, all around the world this means only one thing – holidays!
This year, Christmas falls on a Monday, gifting you a long weekend. If you can take four more days off from your busy schedule, then you can easily go away for a seven – ten-day break with your family.
Here are some awesome Christmassy places where you can enjoy the festival and also have a wonderful holiday.
Go for a local trip if the long weekend is all you’ve got. Plus, at a short notice, it is also easier on the pocket!
- Goa – On Christmas day, Goa is the place to be. Like everything else, Goa celebrates Christmas with gusto. The entire city comes to life with beautiful decorations, lights, and the fragrance of mouth-watering Christmas goodies. Have fun on the beach during the day, attend a Christmas mass at night, and listen to the carollers sing lovely hymns. If you have managed to get the suggested leaves, then you can follow up Christmas festivities with a fun and wild New Year party – Goa style.
- Puducherry – Another lovely coastal and Christmassy destination, Puducherry also celebrates the festival with great fanfare. The former French colony is one of the best places in the country to enjoy a quiet and laidback Christmas holiday. During the season, the ancient churches glittering with lights and bright Christmas decorations are a sight to behold.
- Cities in Kerala – God’s own country, Kerala is an ideal place for a leisurely family Christmas trip. The beautiful state offers many cities to chose from. Trivandrum, Kochi, and Wayanad are some of the most popular and festive cities in Kerala during the holiday season. Enjoy the backwaters and the beaches during the day, visit the beautifully decorated churches during the evening and enjoy the delicious local cuisine.
- Shillong – If the beaches don’t excite you, then the misty hills of Shillong will make for an interesting outing. Christmas is probably the best kept secret of this picturesque hill station. It is home to one of the oldest churches in North-East India – the Cathedral Church. Believers and tourists from all over the globe are known to visit Shillong to be a part of the midnight mass at this church.
If you happen to be among the lucky few who got an extended holiday approved and budget is not a constraint, then take a flight and bring Christmas in at –
- Vatican City, Italy – This is Christmas. There’s nothing better than ringing in Christmas with the Pope at the midnight mass at the famous St. Peter’s Basilica. Follow it up with a tour of other world famous chapels and churches and museums that the city has to offer. Later, you can bring in the New Year in romantic Rome. A perfect Roman holiday.
- New York, USA – We’ve all heard of it – the Christmas in New York. It is all things glamourous, fun, busy, and snowy. Start your Christmas vacation with some Christmas shopping, visit the famous New York churches,enjoy a round of ice skating at the Central Park or at the Rockfeller Center, and wrap up your holiday by welcoming the New Year at the Times Square.
- Nuremberg, Germany – If holidays are synonymous with shopping for you, then Nuremberg in Germany is the place to head to. This German city is home to one of the most well known Christmas markets – the Nuremberg Christkindlesmarkt. You can find traditional toys, decorations, and souvenirs here while enjoying yummy Christmas delights.
- Rovaniemi, Finland – Is Santa not listening to your gift requests? Then it is time to pay him a visit! Santa Claus Village in Rovaniemi, Finland, is the official home of Father Christmas. What better way to celebrate Christmas than with Santa himself? Enjoy reindeer tours, sample the local food and play in the snow – live the magic that is Christmas.
Pick one of these places and plan a holiday with your loved ones to experience the spirit and magic of Christmas. Or choose your own place and share with us how you celebrated the holiday.